BD Safety-Lok Blood Collection Sets
1. What are the uses of the BD Vacutainer Safety-Lok Blood Collection Set (SLBCS)?
The BD Vacutainer Safety-Lok Blood Collection Set is simple, easy to use, and is safety-engineered. The safety mechanism can be activated immediately after the blood draw and helps protect against needlestick injury. It is also offered with a pre-attached holder for added convenience and to help ensure OSHA single-use holder compliance.
2. Can BD Vacutainer Blood Collection Sets, BD Safety-Lok Blood Collection Sets and BD Vacutainer Push Button Blood Collection Set be used for intravenous administration of fluids or blood collection procedures?
Yes, all of these products can be used to administer intravenous fluids for short-term (up to 2 hours) and for blood collection.
3. I had trouble activating the safety shield of the BD Safety-Lok Blood Collection Set. What went wrong?
Withdraw the BD Safety-Lok blood collection set by grasping the translucent yellow safety shield grip area with the thumb and index finger. Note: If you grasp the shield along the sides, you will prevent the wings from sliding back along the track inside the shield. The thumb should be on top of the grip area. With the opposite hand, grasp tubing between thumb and index finger. Push the yellow shield forward until the safety shield is locked in place and you hear a click. Discard into an approved sharps container.
4. Why do I need to hold the wings during insertion? Why can't I just hold the sides of the safety shield?
Inserting the needle by holding the wings will give you a greater sense of control to perform the phlebotomy. If you hold the sides, the safety shield will slide forward over the needle when the point of the needle makes contact with the skin. Continue to use your current technique of insertion by holding the wings. Remember, after insertion, the wings are never touched again.
5. Why can't I withdraw the BD Safety-Lok Blood Collection Set from the patient by grasping a wing?
The wings are attached to the needle and then to the tubing. Holding the wings will not allow the safety shield to be pushed forward and locked into place.
6. Is the BD Vacutainer Safety-Lok Blood Collection Set (SLBCS) available with a pre-attached holder?
Yes, the SLBCS is available with a pre-attached holder.
7. Does the BD Vacutainer Safety-Lok Blood Collection Set (SLBCS) contain latex?
No, the BD Vacutainer Safety-Lok Blood Collection Set is latex free.
8. What needle gauges are available for the BD Vacutainer Safety-Lok Blood Collection Set (SLBCS) and the BD Vacutainer® Push Button Blood Collection Set (PBBCS)?
The PBBCS and SLBCS are available in 21, 23 and 25 gauge needles.