BD Vacutainer Safety-Lok Blood Collection Set
- Easily activated safety mechanism to protect against needlestick injury
- Offered with a pre-attached holder for to help ensure OSHA single-use holder compliance
BD Vacutainer Tubes, Needles and Holders are used together as a system for the collection of venous blood.
BD Vacutainer Safety-Lok Blood Collection Sets are single-use, double-ended, medical grade stainless steel needles. They have a threaded hub that fits into the threads of all BD Vacutainer Holders. The venipuncture end of the needle has a point specially designed to enter the skin easily during venipuncture and the needle is lubricated with silicone. Needles are available in 3/4 inch lengths in 21, 23 and 25 gauge, with 7” or 12” tubing. Needle size and lot number are printed on each individual package.
Following venipuncture, a yellow transparent shield is moved over the exposed needle and locked into protective position, creating a barrier between the healthcare professional and the used needle.
Products have a latex-free sleeve covering the non-patient (NP) needle that prevents leakage of blood into the holder during blood collection. The tubes slide into the holder and are pushed onto the NP needle, allowing the vacuum in the tube to draw blood to a predetermined level.
|BD Vacutainer Safety-Lok Blood Collection Set O.K. Method Quick Reference Card||300 KB|
|BD Vacutainer Safety-Lok Blood Collection Set Brochure||241 KB|
BD Safety-Lok Blood Collection Sets
1. What are the uses of the BD Vacutainer Safety-Lok Blood Collection Set (SLBCS)?
The BD Vacutainer Safety-Lok Blood Collection Set is simple, easy to use, and is safety-engineered. The safety mechanism can be activated immediately after the blood draw and helps protect against needlestick injury. It is also offered with a pre-attached holder for added convenience and to help ensure OSHA single-use holder compliance.
2. Can BD Vacutainer Blood Collection Sets, BD Safety-Lok Blood Collection Sets and BD Vacutainer Push Button Blood Collection Set be used for intravenous administration of fluids or blood collection procedures?
Yes, all of these products can be used to administer intravenous fluids for short-term (up to 2 hours) and for blood collection.
3. I had trouble activating the safety shield of the BD Safety-Lok Blood Collection Set. What went wrong?
Withdraw the BD Safety-Lok blood collection set by grasping the translucent yellow safety shield grip area with the thumb and index finger. Note: If you grasp the shield along the sides, you will prevent the wings from sliding back along the track inside the shield. The thumb should be on top of the grip area. With the opposite hand, grasp tubing between thumb and index finger. Push the yellow shield forward until the safety shield is locked in place and you hear a click. Discard into an approved sharps container.
4. Why do I need to hold the wings during insertion? Why can't I just hold the sides of the safety shield?
Inserting the needle by holding the wings will give you a greater sense of control to perform the phlebotomy. If you hold the sides, the safety shield will slide forward over the needle when the point of the needle makes contact with the skin. Continue to use your current technique of insertion by holding the wings. Remember, after insertion, the wings are never touched again.
5. Why can't I withdraw the BD Safety-Lok Blood Collection Set from the patient by grasping a wing?
The wings are attached to the needle and then to the tubing. Holding the wings will not allow the safety shield to be pushed forward and locked into place.
6. Is the BD Vacutainer Safety-Lok Blood Collection Set (SLBCS) available with a pre-attached holder?
Yes, the SLBCS is available with a pre-attached holder.
7. Does the BD Vacutainer Safety-Lok Blood Collection Set (SLBCS) contain latex?
No, the BD Vacutainer Safety-Lok Blood Collection Set is latex free.
What needle gauges are available for the BD Vacutainer Safety-Lok Blood Collection Set (SLBCS) and the BD Vacutainer Push Button Blood Collection Set (PBBCS)?
The PBBCS and SLBCS are available in 21, 23 and 25 gauge needles.
|Product||Catalog Nr.||Price (USD)|
BD Vacutainer Safety-Lok Blood Collection Set21 G x 0.75 in needle x 12 in tubing BD Safety-Lok blood collection and infusion set with luer adapter. Manually activated safety shield to fully cover needle. (50/sp, 200/ca)